Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Montana > Anaconda > Anaconda Historic District, Daly Bank Building, 123 Main Street, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



See 16 maps of this location


B&W Photos
Main Street Facade Of The Daly Bank Building (now Ossello
HB746063
Main Street Facade Of The Daly Bank Building (now Ossello's Appliance Store), Showing The Original Arched Entrances


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
123 Main Street, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-G
Building/structure dates: 1895 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1914 subsequent work
Significance: This two-story brick building with granite trim has engaged columns at either side of a round intersecting arch doorway. Now brick infilled, the doorway was one the stately entrance to the Hoge, Daly and Company Bank, located at the corner of Main Street and East Park Avenue. This structure is among the early, substantial commercial buildings in Anaconda remaining today. Although the building has been altered to suit Ossello's Appliance Store, the occupant since 1972, much of the exterior facade remains intact. This includes terra cotta scroll designs and bronze exterior doors with frosted/sandblasted windows. In 1899, Smith and Kern, Architects, E.D. Matts and C.M. Sawyer, Lawyers, leased space in the Daly Bank Building, along with F.B. Wright, bicycle manufacturer. Previously, second story space had been used by a dry goods establishment. A one-story reinforced concrete building was added onto the rest of this structure in 1914-15, with an entrance on East Park Avenue. This addition, designed by Fred F. Willson of Bozeman, was intended to allow expansion of the bank's business.

Subjects
Banking
Commerce
Banks


Related Names
Willson, Fred F.
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. MAIN STREET FACADE OF THE DALY BANK BUILDING (NOW OSSELLO'S APPLIANCE STORE), SHOWING THE ORIGINAL ARCHED ENTRANCES


Back to Anaconda, Montana