Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Montana

>

Anaconda

>

Anaconda Historic District, Butte, Anaconda & Pacific Railway: General Offices, 300 West Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



B&W Photos

HB746280


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
300 West Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-P
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Significance: The General Offices of the B, A & P Railway formerly served as the passenger depot and dispatchers office for this rail operation. Built in 1898, the two-story brick structure has rusticated granite window lintels and sills with a continuous granite belt at the top and bottom of the second-story windows. The windows also feature overhead semicircular arch transoms. Dentilled and corbelled brickwork appears along the roofline at each building facade. The east end of the building has rounded corners, while a rectangular wing extends from the west end. The B, A & P was incorporated October 1, 1892, began hauling copper ore from the mines at Butte to smelter at Anaconda by the close of 1893. The line also provided passenger service to Anacondans from this building location since the time of its construction until April 1955. Originally steam-powered, the B, A & P Railway was, by 1916, the first fully electrified railroad in the United States. In the 1960s, diesel locomotives entirely replaced the electric models. The railroad is currently dispatched from the east end of the city at the base of the Anaconda Reduction Works site. Its main line cargo includes copper concentrates and precipitates transported from Butte's Weed Concentrator to the Anaconda Smelter. Lime rock and sulphuric acid are also moved from the smelter to regional customers by way of main-line interchanges with the Milwaukee Road and the Burlington Northern Railroad.

Subjects
Brick Buildings
Railroad Facilities
Railroad Industry


Related Names
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH FACADE OF THE RAILWAY'S GENERAL OFFICES
SOUTH FACADE OF THE RAILWAY'S GENERAL OFFICES.


Back to Anaconda, Montana