Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Montana > Anaconda > Anaconda Historic District, 225-229 East Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, Deer Lodge County, MT



B&W Photos
Three Quarters View Of 225-229 East Commercial Avenue
HB746303
Three Quarters View Of 225-229 East Commercial Avenue


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
225-229 East Commercial Avenue, Anaconda, MT

Find maps of Anaconda, MT


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MT-53-R
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1948 subsequent work
Significance: Number 225 East Commercial Avenue is a two-story brick building having a corrugated metal storefront with stucco at the second story exterior. The front of the building is rented to State Farm Insurance and the rear portion is leased to Montana Power Company. There are four apartments on the second floor. Built in 1948, this building block measures 25' x 140.' It was formerly occupied by Geil's Motor Company. A wood frame building stood on this site in the 1890's, serving first as a sewing machine store, and subsequently a millinery shop and cigar shop. The current structure forms a part of a continuous storefront facade next to the Commercial Tire Center. The 1930's style facade was probably applied after a fire partially destroyed the adjacent buildings. The one-story brick and stucco building (229 East Commercial Avenue) contains 7,000 square feet and is currently occupied by the Anaconda Tire Center, Incorporated. The date of the present brick structure is not known. According to oral reports, the building was once owned by Marcus Daly. It was used as a theater and later as an arena for prize-fighting exhibitions. John L. Sullivan reportedly appeared and fought here. The current structure consists of several separate brick buildings which, when damaged by fire, were incorporated into one storefront facade.

Subjects
Commerce
Fires
Theatrical Productions


Related Names
Daly, Marcus
Sullivan, John L.
Hawley, Monica E., Historian
Lowe, Jet, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. THREE QUARTERS VIEW OF 225-229 EAST COMMERCIAL AVENUE. THE CURRENT STRUCTURE CONSISTS OF SEVERAL SEPARATE BRICK BUILDINGS WHICH HAVE BEEN INCORPORATED INTO ONE STOREFRONT


Back to Anaconda, Montana