Middle Bridge, Spanning Osage River, Warsaw, Benton County, MO
Photo Caption Pages
Spanning Osage River, Warsaw, MO
Find maps of Warsaw, MO
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MO-3
Building/structure dates: 1913 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1927 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1975
National Register Number: NR
Significance: Middle Bridge is one of the remaining seven suspension bridges built across the Osage River during the late nineteenth and early twentieth century period. It is one of only twelve such structures remaining in the state of Missouri. Middle Bridge was built and probably designed by J.S. Kidwell and C.F. Bibb, contractors from Warsaw, Missouri. The bridge is significant for the level of sophistication in design and construction achieved by these local builders. The use of steel structural components further distinguishes this structure as a cultural resource. The bridge once served as a link in the Lakes to Gulf Highway, and was the main point of access between south Benton County and Warsaw. Because of its structural distinction and historical significance, Middle Bridge has been determined eligible for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places.
Benton County Court
Moss, John M.
Kansas City Bridge Company
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW TO THE EAST, UPSTREAM CENTER LINE OF THE CHANNEL.
2. VIEW TO THE SOUTH, UPSTREAM LEFT OF THE NORTH ABUTMENT.
3. VIEW NORTHEAST, UPSTREAM RIGHT OF THE SOUTH ABUTMENT.
4. VIEW TO THE SOUTHEAST UPSTREAM FROM THE NORTH ABUTMENT.
5. VIEW TO THE SOUTH NEAR THE NORTH ABUTMENT.
6. VIEW TO THE SOUTH AT THE NORTH ABUTMENT, NORTH ABUTMENT IN THE FOREGROUND.
7. VIEW TO THE SOUTH APPROXIMATELY 50 FEET SOUTH OF THE NORTH ABUTMENT.
8. VIEW TO THE SOUTH, MIDDLE POINT OF THE BRIDGE.
9. VIEW TO THE NORTH 12 FEET SOUTH OF THE ABUTMENT, AGAINST BLUFF.
10. VIEW TO THE NORTH, 5 FEET SOUTH OF THE SOUTH ABUTMENT.
11. VIEW TO THE EAST, UPSTREAM OF THE ABUTMENT.
12. VIEW TO THE NORTHEAST TOWER, NEAR THE NORTH ABUTMENT.
13. VIEW TO THE SOUTH AT THE SOUTH ABUTMENT.
14. VIEW FROM THE CENTER OF THE BRIDGE, CENTER LANE TO THE NORTH.
15. VIEW OF THE MAIN CABLE.
16. PHOTOCOPY OF HISTORIC PHOTOGRAPH SHOWING CREW OF THE MIDDLE BRIDGE STANDING ON THE SOUTH BLUFF (1913).
Back to Warsaw, Missouri