Bequet-Ribault House, St. Mary's Road, Sainte Genevieve, Ste. Genevieve County, MO
See 27 maps of this location
Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
St. Mary's Road, Sainte Genevieve, MO
Find maps of Sainte Genevieve, MO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MO-1114
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-137, FN-176).
Building/structure dates: 1793 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1985 subsequent work
National Register Number: 66000892
Significance: One of three surviving examples of the distinctive upright log construction (poteaux en terre) in Ste. Genevieve. This post in ground construction was the predominant type in the colonial period. The three that survive--the Amoureaux House (HABS MO-1113), the Vital St. Gemme Bauvais House (HABS MO-1121), and this one--are made of cedar logs, and are large, well-constructed buildings. All three have impressive trussed roofs. This house preserved all the essentials of its original form inspite of later alterations.
Historic House Museums
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Theodore LaVack, Photographer. November, 1936.
2. EXTERIOR, FRONT AND SIDE FACADES, WITH PORTION OF REAR GALLERY VISIBLE
3. FRONT AND SIDE FACADES, SHOWING END CHIMNEY
4. GENERAL VIEW FROM THE SOUTHEAST SHOWING SOUTH AND EAST SIDES
5. GENERAL VIEW FROM THE NORTHEAST SHOWING EAST AND NORTH SIDES
6. EAST SIDE
7. EAST SIDE WITH SCALE ROD, SEE THIRD SUPPORT POST FROM LEFT
8. GENERAL VIEW FROM THE NORTHWEST SHOWING NORTH AND WEST SIDES, MISSISSIPPI RIVER FLOOD PLAIN IN BACKGROUND
9. DETAIL OF NORTH END OF WEST SIDE
10. SOUTH SIDE
11. DETAIL LOOKING ALONG PORCH ON WEST SIDE SHOWING SPACE BETWEEN OUTER WALL AND ROOF OF PORCH
12. DETAIL IN CELLAR SHOWING VERTICAL LOGS GOING INTO THE GROUND AND FLOOR BEAMS FRAMED INTO VERTICAL LOGS
13. GENERAL VIEW IN LARGER (SOUTH) ROOM SHOWING FIREPLACE EAST WALL
14. GENERAL VIEW IN SMALLER (NORTH) ROOM, LOOKING NORTHWEST
15. DETAIL IN ATTIC OF TRUSS FORM
16. DETAIL IN ATTIC SHOWING FRAMING SYSTEM
17. DETAIL IN ATTIC
GENERAL VIEW FROM THE NORTHEAST SHOWING EAST AND NORTH SIDES
Back to Sainte Genevieve, Missouri