Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Missouri

>

Saint%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BLouis

>

Robert Campbell House, 1508 Locust Street, Saint Louis, St. Louis City County, MO



See 29 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB684383
Historic American Buildings Survey, Theodore Lavack, Photographer

HB684384
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 View From North-east

HB684385
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 Iron Fence And Railing On North (front)

HB684386
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940

HB684387
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 View From South-east

HB684388
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 East Elevations Of House And Stable

HB684389
Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 Summer House And Trellis

HB684390
Front, Showing Fence And Summer House

HB684391
Interior


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
1508 Locust Street, Saint%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BLouis, MO

Find maps of Saint%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BLouis, MO


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MO-12
Building/structure dates: 1850 initial construction
Significance: Built in 1851 on what was then No. 20 Lucas Place, a fashionable street in St. Louis, the 3 story Italianate townhouse was bought in 1854 by Robert Campbell, a wealthy fur trader and businessman. In 1856 he purchased the adjoining property to the east and started to remodel his house. The double parlor on the first floor was combined into one room and an octagonal bay was added in the east wall. A rectangular bay was added as well as the third floor to the servant's wing. In 1877 a small porch was converted to a morning room complete with molding in the latest style. It was in this house that Robert Campbell entertained President and Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant, General Sherman, James B. Eads and Father De Smet. When Robert Campbell died in 1879, the property passed to his sons James and Hugh. Living as recluses, they left the house and its contents virtually unchanged and upon their deaths in 1931 and 1938, the house and its furnishings were bough by the Campbell House Foundation, which has since turned the house into a museum of St. Louis' gold past.

Related Names
Ames, Henry


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey, Theodore LaVack, Photographer. June 23, 1936. (North Elevation)
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 VIEW FROM NORTH-EAST
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 IRON FENCE AND RAILING ON NORTH (FRONT)
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 VIEW FROM SOUTH-EAST
6. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 EAST ELEVATIONS OF HOUSE AND STABLE
7. Historic American Buildings Survey Lester Jones, Photographer April 3, 1940 SUMMER HOUSE AND TRELLIS
8. FRONT, SHOWING FENCE AND SUMMER HOUSE
9. INTERIOR


Back to Saint%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252525252BLouis, Missouri