Dr. Milton C. Marshall Building, 414-418 North Boyle Avenue, Saint Louis, St. Louis City County, MO
414-418 North Boyle Avenue, Saint Louis, MO
Find maps of Saint Louis, MO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MO-1898
Building/structure dates: 1928 initial construction
Significance: The building at 414-418 North Boyle is representative of the small commercial buildings constructed in the second and third decades of the twentieth century to meet the needs of the growing populations in St. Louis' west end. This building and others like it differed from earlier commercial building in three important ways: size, location, and use. The later buildings were one-story, were very shallow in depth, were often located in mid-block, and were designed solely for commercial use. Earlier neighborhood commercial buildings were most frequently located on corners and always had upper story residential apartments.
Cross, Richard J.
Cross, Grover C.
Frentress, Sam, Photographer
Pettues, Robert, Photographer
Wafer, Ralph Elgin, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Saint Louis, Missouri