Hermann Star Mills, 238 East First Street, Hermann, Gasconade County, MO
See 27 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
238 East First Street, Hermann, MO
Find maps of Hermann, MO
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MO-252
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-98).
Significance: Hermann Star Mills, built by Henry Reitmeyer and Mathias Kochele in 18667, was the first steam powered gristmill built in Hermann. The design of the mill is typical of the hundreds of small scale grist mills in operation before the Depression transformed flour milling into a large scale industry.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. NORTHWEST CORNER
2. NORTH FRONT AND PORTION OF WEST FLANK
3. NORTHEAST CORNER
4. EAST WALL
5. SOUTHEAST CORNER
6. 2 1/2' X 15' JOISTS, 13' X 13' COLUMNS, AND BEAMS IN BASEMENT
7. MACHINE SHOP ON FIRST FLOOR
8. FOURTH FLOOR, LOOKING NORTHWEST
9. ATTIC FRAMING, LOOKING SOUTH
Back to Hermann, Missouri