Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Minnesota

>

Minneapolis

>

Washburn-Crosby Milling Complex, Garage, 525 First Street South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN



See 26 maps of this location


Item Title
Washburn-Crosby Milling Complex, Garage, 525 First Street South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN

Location
525 First Street South, Minneapolis, MN

Find maps of Minneapolis, MN


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MN-69-K
Building/structure dates: 1915 initial construction
Significance: Situated near the southwest corner of Portland Avenue and South First Street in Minneapolis, the building borders the Mississippi River in a four-block, waterfront zone commonly known as the "West Side Milling District." When Minneapolis was founded in the mid-1850s, this area was expressly reserved for milling purposes, drawing waterpower from the Falls of St. Anthony by means of a canal along South First Street. Despite its advantageous location, the building's site was never used for milling. In 1915, when the building was constructed, the site was one of the few, small parcels of vacant land remaining in the district. From the outset, the building was designed and used as a parking garage by the Washburn Crosby Company (later renamed General Mills), the largest flour milling interest on the West Side. The building continued in its original ownership and use until 1985, when it was purchased by Hayber Development Group of Minneapolis. Lacking in architectural interest, the building has played only a minor and tangential role in the history of the West Side Milling District.

Subjects
Building Deterioration
Flour & Meal Industry
Garages


Related Names
Hightower, Barbara, Field Team
Hess, Jeffrey A., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Minneapolis, Minnesota