Standard Mill, 116-118 Portland Avenue South, Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
See 26 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
116-118 Portland Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN
Find maps of Minneapolis, MN
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MN-14
Significance: The Standard Mill is historically significant for its role in the development of Minneapolis' West Side Milling District, and for its association with the noted milling engineers William Dixon Gray and Otis Arkwright Pray. Designed by Gray and built by Pray in 1879, the Standard was one in a series of West Side mills constructed during the 1870s. The West Side mills helped establish Minneapolis as the flouring capital of the United States from 1880 to 1930. The Standard survived a wave of mill closures and demolitions during the 1930s, and is currently one of only four West Side mills still standing. In 1971, the Minnesota State Historic Preservation Office of the Minnesota Historical Society nominated the structure to the National Register of Historic Places as part of the St. Anthony Falls Historic District.
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Minneapolis, Minnesota