Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Michigan

>

Port Huron

>

Blue Water Bridge Plaza, 410 Elmwood Street, Port Huron, St. Clair County, MI



See 17 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB645070
View Northwest Showing Lower Bridge Approach And Setting

HB645071
View West, East Side Showing Lower Bridge Approach

HB645072
View Northwest From Bridge Approach Showing Plaza, Toll Booths And Administration Building

HB645073
View East Showing Blue Water Bridge From Administration Building Roof Top

HB645074
View West, East And North Sides Showing Residential Setting

HB645075
View Southwest, East And North Sides Showing Administration Building

HB645076
View Southeast, North And West Sides Showing Maintenance Garage And Truck Detention Area

HB645077
View East, West Side Showing Truck Detention Area And Exit Ramp

HB645078
View Northeast, West And South Sides Showing Entrance Ramp And Toll Booths

HB645079
View Northeast Showing Truck Detention Area

HB645080
View West Showing 1-94 Plaza Approach And Truck Detention Area From Administration Building Roof Top

HB645081
View Northwest Of Truck Detention Area From Canopy Roof

HB645082
View Northeast Showing Customs Office And Toll Booth

HB645083
View Southeast Showing Customs/toll Booths

HB645084
Customs/toll Booth, West End

HB645085
View North, South Side Of Administration Building

HB645086
View Northwest, South Side Of Administration Building Showing Juncture With Toll Booths

HB645087
View Northwest, South Side Of Administration Building Showing Canopy And Entrances

HB645088
Customs/toll Booth, East End

HB645089
View Of Third Floor Exterior

HB645090
Detail Of Cornice And Roof Line

HB645091
U.s

HB645092
Dedication Plaque

HB645093
First Floor, Garage Storage Area

HB645094
First Floor, Garage Storage Area Beneath Truck Detention Area

HB645095
First Floor, Maintenance Garage

HB645096
First Floor, Michigan Department Of Transportation Personnel Locker Room

HB645097
Second Floor, U.s

HB645098
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Elevations - East And West

HB645099
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Elevations - North And South

HB645100
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Building Sections

HB645101
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Booth-canopy And Permit Buildings

HB645102
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Details

HB645103
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Floor Plans And Schedule

HB645104
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Foundations And Sewer Plan

HB645105
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Wall Reinforcing

HB645106
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Structural Concrete

HB645107
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Structural Concrete

HB645108
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Roof And Miscellaneous

HB645109
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Truscon Steel Products (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Foundation

HB645110
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Truscon Steel Products (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Walls

HB645111
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Truscon Steel Products (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) 2nd Floor Framing

HB645112
Photocopy Of Original 1938 Plans By Truscon Steel Products (original In Possession Of Michigan Department Of Transportation) Roof Framing


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
410 Elmwood Street, Port Huron, MI

Find maps of Port Huron, MI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MI-16
Significance: The bridge and plaza were completed in 1938. They are reflections of Depression-era engineering and architecture. The plaza was designed and built by George L. Harvey and Norman B. Forbes. The building style, Art Moderne, with its streamlined effect of the smooth concrete surface, the rounded corners and the horizontal banding expressed a feeling of modernity sought by Depression-era designers. The plaza has been in continuous use since completion. The vehicle inspection shelters were constructed in 1955, the same year a fifth toll booth was added. Alteration to the plaza have been made through the years under a continuing maintenance and improvement program. These alterations include roof line changes to the booths, full enclosure of the booths, lighting and equipment changes, and resurfacing of the plaza deck. The significance of the Customs/Toll Plaza lies in its architectural style and its transportation association with the bridge.

Subjects
Transportation Industry
Customs Inspections
Commerce


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW NORTHWEST SHOWING LOWER BRIDGE APPROACH AND SETTING
2. VIEW WEST, EAST SIDE SHOWING LOWER BRIDGE APPROACH
3. VIEW NORTHWEST FROM BRIDGE APPROACH SHOWING PLAZA, TOLL BOOTHS AND ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
4. VIEW EAST SHOWING BLUE WATER BRIDGE FROM ADMINISTRATION BUILDING ROOF TOP
5. VIEW WEST, EAST AND NORTH SIDES SHOWING RESIDENTIAL SETTING
6. VIEW SOUTHWEST, EAST AND NORTH SIDES SHOWING ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
7. VIEW SOUTHEAST, NORTH AND WEST SIDES SHOWING MAINTENANCE GARAGE AND TRUCK DETENTION AREA
8. VIEW EAST, WEST SIDE SHOWING TRUCK DETENTION AREA AND EXIT RAMP
9. VIEW NORTHEAST, WEST AND SOUTH SIDES SHOWING ENTRANCE RAMP AND TOLL BOOTHS
10. VIEW NORTHEAST SHOWING TRUCK DETENTION AREA
11. VIEW WEST SHOWING 1-94 PLAZA APPROACH AND TRUCK DETENTION AREA FROM ADMINISTRATION BUILDING ROOF TOP
12. VIEW NORTHWEST OF TRUCK DETENTION AREA FROM CANOPY ROOF
13. VIEW NORTHEAST SHOWING CUSTOMS OFFICE AND TOLL BOOTH
14. VIEW SOUTHEAST SHOWING CUSTOMS/TOLL BOOTHS
15. CUSTOMS/TOLL BOOTH, WEST END
16. VIEW NORTH, SOUTH SIDE OF ADMINISTRATION BUILDING
17. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTH SIDE OF ADMINISTRATION BUILDING SHOWING JUNCTURE WITH TOLL BOOTHS
18. VIEW NORTHWEST, SOUTH SIDE OF ADMINISTRATION BUILDING SHOWING CANOPY AND ENTRANCES
19. CUSTOMS/TOLL BOOTH, EAST END
20. VIEW OF THIRD FLOOR EXTERIOR
21. DETAIL OF CORNICE AND ROOF LINE
22. U.S. IMMIGRATION ENTRANCE TO ADMINISTRATION BUILDING, SOUTH SIDE
23. DEDICATION PLAQUE
24. FIRST FLOOR, GARAGE STORAGE AREA
25. FIRST FLOOR, GARAGE STORAGE AREA BENEATH TRUCK DETENTION AREA
26. FIRST FLOOR, MAINTENANCE GARAGE
27. FIRST FLOOR, MICHIGAN DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION PERSONNEL LOCKER ROOM
28. SECOND FLOOR, U.S. IMMIGRATION INSPECTION AREA
29. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) ELEVATIONS - east and west
30. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) ELEVATIONS - north and south
31. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) BUILDING SECTIONS
32. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) BOOTH-CANOPY AND PERMIT BUILDINGS
33. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) DETAILS
34. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) FLOOR PLANS AND SCHEDULE
35. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) FOUNDATIONS AND SEWER PLAN
36. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) WALL REINFORCING
37. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) STRUCTURAL CONCRETE
38. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) STRUCTURAL CONCRETE
39. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Harvey & Forbes, Architects (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) ROOF AND MISCELLANEOUS
40. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Truscon Steel Products (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) FOUNDATION
41. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Truscon Steel Products (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) WALLS
42. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Truscon Steel Products (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) 2ND FLOOR FRAMING
43. Photocopy of original 1938 plans by Truscon Steel Products (original in possession of Michigan Department of Transportation) ROOF FRAMING


Back to Port Huron, Michigan