East Michigan Avenue (Commercial Building), Marshall, Calhoun County, MI
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
Find maps of Marshall, MI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MI-245
National Register Number: 91002053
Significance: A mid-19th century commercial building with an interesting storefront largely revealing its original design. / 25-foot frontage, three bays, arcaded facade. The store front on the first story consists of three equal elliptical arches of low curvature carried on four plain cast-iron piers. Each pier is square in plan with chamfered corners, with an attic base on a high plinth, and a Corinthian-like capital with two tiers of plain acanthus leaves, the upper leaves at the corners terminating in crude volutes. In each spandrel is a plain recessed panel. Each of the side openings is triply divided by slender wooden mullions in the form of colonnettes, the central division being slightly wider than the others. Each of these divisions has a semi-circular head, the crown of the central one being higher than those at the side, and the three being exactly inscribed within the arch of the whole opening. In the two spandrels between these small arches are recessed panels containing foliated ornament. These elements described above appear to be original.
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. DETAIL OF SOUTH FRONT
Back to Marshall, Michigan