Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Michigan

>

Marquette

>

Marquette Ore Dock No. 6, Fifth to Lake Streets, Marquette, Marquette County, MI



Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Marquette Ore Dock No. 6, Fifth to Lake Streets, Marquette, Marquette County, MI

Location
Fifth to Lake Streets, Marquette, MI

Find maps of Marquette, MI


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MI-45
Building/structure dates: 1932 initial construction
Significance: The Marquette Ore Dock complex is an excellent example of the final phase in the evolution of the iron ore pocket dock in American industry. It was near this site that the first pocket dock ever used in the iron ore trade was developed (1857) in Marquette. The dock and its approach are fine and intact examples of mid-20th century industrial technology. The dock is a model of construction efficiency having taken one year to complete this massive structure. Locally it is a monument to the important role played by Marquette and its ore docks to the development of the Great Lakes iron ore trade and the American steel industry.

Subjects
Ore Docks


Related Names
Merritt-Chapman & Whitney Corporation


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Marquette, Michigan