Miscowaubik Club, Calumet Avenue, Calumet, Houghton County, MI
See 36 maps of this location
Calumet Avenue, Calumet, MI
Find maps of Calumet, MI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MI-276
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1903 subsequent work
Significance: Allegedly in 1875, the Miscowaubik Club building was constructed as a dwelling for a Calumet and Hecla Company chief mining engineer, Thomas Hoatson. The rectangular plan measured approximately 108'7" x 83'2', and the two-and one-half-story, wood frame entity rising up from this footprint was covered by a gable roof. The structure was converted into a private club in 1903 by the firm Parker, Thomas and Rice along with the Calumet and Hecla Mining Company's architectural department. By the mid-1970s, the frame building had suffered from some incompatible exterior remodeling and extensive interior renovations.
Calumet & Hecla Mining Company
Parker, Thomas, & Rice
Harrington, Kevin, Historian
Nicholas, Wendy, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Calumet, Michigan