Machine Shop, Mine Street, Calumet, Houghton County, MI
See 36 maps of this location
Mine Street, Calumet, MI
Find maps of Calumet, MI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MI-432
Building/structure dates: 1882 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1907 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1911 subsequent work
Significance: Originally designed by Erasmus D. Leavitt, Jr., and erected by the mining company around 1882, the Machine Shop was completely reconstructed in 1907. A short time later, in 1911, and addition 92' long was made to the southernmost portion of the building and a bay measuring 17' x 230' was attached on the east. The 1907-11 shop stands two stories tall and is fashioned from hammer dressed, random ashlar masonry, with a gray, local poor rock used at the corners. It measures approximately 54' x 416'9" and has a clerestory to admit additional light beneath the hipped, gable roof covered with corrugated sheet metal. At the northeast corner, a railroad spur enters the building. Inside, most of the flooring is made of concrete, while the structural systems are a combination of load bearing masonry walls and timber trusses. The trusses also support a catwalk that runs the length of the main interior space.
Calumet & Hecla Mining Company
Leavitt, Erasmus D.
Harrington, Kevin, Historian
Nicholas, Wendy, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Calumet, Michigan