Allen Park Veterans Administration Hospital, Building No. 7, Southfield Expressway & Outer Drive, Allen Park, Wayne County, MI
Southfield Expressway & Outer Drive, Allen Park, MI
Find maps of Allen Park, MI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MI-427-C
Building/structure dates: 1939 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1982 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1996 subsequent work
Significance: Building 7 was constructed as the Nurses' Quarters and was one of the first buildings completed at the complex. The building exhibits characteristic features of the Georgian Revival style, which reflects the construction of the Allen Park facility and of VA hospitals nationwide. The interior and exterior symmetry, side gable form, pediment with dentils, pedimented entrance, and sash and dormer windows are all reflections of the Georgian Revival style that was common for VA hospitals. Completed in 1939, Building 7 was one of the first buildings completed at the hospital. Its early date of construction attests to the importance of having nursing staff on hand immediately at the opening of the hospital. It also shows the need to have the staff in close proximity to the hospital and, presumably, available at all hours of the day or night. The design provided the nursing staff with living areas on the first floor and small bedrooms on the second floor. In the 1970s, the building was being used as the Day Care Treatment Center. This facility treated patients for substance abuse on an outpatient basis. This change in use demonstrates the shift in the needs of veterans and the hospital's ability to adapt its facilities to meet those needs.
Medical Aspects Of War
U.S. Department Of Verterans Affairs
Baugnet, Andrew, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Allen Park, Michigan