Allen Park Veterans Administration Hospital, Building No. 6, Southfield Expressway & Outer Drive, Allen Park, Wayne County, MI
Southfield Expressway & Outer Drive, Allen Park, MI
Find maps of Allen Park, MI
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MI-427-B
Building/structure dates: 1939 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1996 subsequent work
Significance: Building 6, the Director's Quarters, was constructed in 1939 in the Georgian Revival style. It fits in with both the overall style of the hospital complex and with residential architecture trends of the 1930s. Originally, the Director's Quarters was to be built on the opposite side of the campus along a road leading eastward from Building 7. It is unknown why the site selection was altered. The building retains its stylistic details, such as its symmetrical form, large sash windows, the quarter-arch attic windows flanking the brick chimney, side gable roof with cornice returns, and the dentil course below the cornice. The building's presence on the campus reflects the importance of the role of the Director of the hospital, the only staff member to have a single family residence on the complex. The presence of this building, as well as the Nurses' Quarters, Attendants' Quarters, and Duplex Staff Quarters (Buildings 7, 8, and 14, respectively) indicates the need for round-the-clock, on-site staff at the hospital. Most recently, the building was used to house offices.
U.S. Department Of Verterans Affairs
Baugnet, Andrew, Photographer
Scheerer, E. Madeleine, Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Allen Park, Michigan