Perkins Grist Mill, North shore of Mill Pond, West of North Street, Kennebunkport, York County, ME
See 35 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
West of North Street, Kennebunkport, ME
Find maps of Kennebunkport, ME
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS ME-126
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-73).
Building/structure dates: 1749 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1879 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1939 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1955 subsequent work
Significance: Built in 1749 by Tristram Perkins, it operated until 1939. Located on an estuary of the Kennebunk River, the mill was powered by the rise and fall of tides. The fabric is exceptionally well preserved; its architectural features include exposed framing, mill machinery, and a variety of early hardware.
"Mission 66" Program
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. SOUTHWEST FACADE
2. NORTHWEST FACADE
3. SOUTHEAST FACADE
4. DETAIL, NORTHEAST FACADE, SOUTHERN UNIT, CAPPED BY CUPOLA
5. DETAIL, SOUTHWEST FACADE, SOUTHERN UNIT, CAPPED BY CUPOLA
6. DETAIL, INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, MILL ROOM, MACHINERY, FROM THE NORTHEAST
7. DETAIL, INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, MILL ROCK, MACHINERY, FROM THE NORTHWEST
8. DETAIL, INTERIOR, FIRST FLOOR, AREA IN USE AS RESTAURANT DINING ROOM, SHOWING KNEE BRACES
Back to Kennebunkport, Maine