Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Towson

>

Hampton, 535 Hampton Lane, Towson, Baltimore County, MD



See 37 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Supplemental Material


Item Title


Location
535 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD

Find maps of Towson, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-226
Significance: Hampton, owned by the Ridgely family from 1745 to 1948, was assembled from three tracts of land by Colonel Charles Ridgely as part of the Ridgely Family Enterprises, which included the Northampton Furnace and the Ridgely Forges Ironworks. Captain Charles Ridgely, the son of Colonel Ridgely, inherited the 10,000 acre estate in 1772. After the Revolutionary War, which helped sustain the family enterprises, Captain Ridgely commissioned Jehu Howell in 1783 to build Hampton Mansion. Captain Ridgely died childless in 1790 shortly after the completion of the mansion. Nephew Charles Carnon, who in accord to captain Ridgely's will changed his name to Charles Carnon Ridgely, acquired, by agreement, Hampton from Widow Ridgely in 1791. Charles Carnon Ridgely, governor of Maryland from 1816 to 1819, made substantial additions to the estate. In 1829 his son, John Carnon Ridgely, inherited the estate, then reduced to 4,000 acres. The estate passed to successive Ridgely family members gradually decreasing in acerage. Hampton Mansion and 42 acres south of Hampton Lane, threatened by Baltimore suburban development, were purchased by the Avalon Foundation in 1847 and dedicated to the National Park Service in 1949 as a National Historic Site. This National Historic Site is located directly north of the Baltimore Beltway, Interstate 695, and east of Dulaney Valley Road , Maryland 146, which provides access to Hampton Lane.

Subjects
Farming
Governors
"Mission 66" Program


Related Names
Ridgely, Charles
Northampton Furnace
Boldrick, Charles C., Delineator
Mehring, Richard C., Delineator
Banks, Herbert L., Delineator
Carroll, Orville W., Delineator
Nelson, Harold A., Delineator
Nelson, Lee H., Delineator
Nelson, Trevor, Delineator
Reeves, F. Blair, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Towson, Maryland