Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Suitland+vicinity

>

Suitland Parkway, Henson Creek Culvert Headwalls at Station 274 Plus 50, 375 feet east of Forestville Road & Suitland Parkw, Suitland, Prince George's County, MD



Data Pages


Item Title


Location
375 feet east of Forestville Road & Suitland Parkw, Suitland+vicinity, MD

Find maps of Suitland+, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-100-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N744).
Building/structure dates: 1943 initial construction
Significance: This culvert headwall is part of the Suitland Parkway. The Parkway was constructed as a defense access road to Andrews Air Force Base from the District of Columbia. The concept of the parkway called for a layout which complied with the design principles of parkway road design. This includes the use of such elements as stone walls, wood post and guardrails, and stone headwalls. The original stone structure still in place exemplifies the historic significance of the headwall. The Henson Creek stone culvert headwall is typical of what is present throughout the parkway.

Subjects
Culverts


Related Names
National Park Service
Pitcaithley, Dwight, Historian


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Suitland+vicinity, Maryland