Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Silver%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BSpring

>

National Park Seminary, Science & Art Building, Linden Lane, Silver Spring, Montgomery County, MD



See 30 maps of this location


Item Title
National Park Seminary, Science & Art Building, Linden Lane, Silver Spring, Montgomery County, MD

Location
Linden Lane, Silver%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BSpring, MD

Find maps of Silver%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BSpring, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1109-D
Building/structure dates: 1898 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1920 subsequent work
Significance: In its original form, the science and art building was a blend of the Italianate, shingle-style, and Richardsonian Romanesque designs. The latter design is a reinterpretation of Romanesque designs by the architect Henry Hobson Richardson (1838-1886). The style is known for its heavy, rough-textured surfaces, and its round-arched forms. The Richardsonian Romanesque style was often used in large public buildings, but elements of the design were also incorporated into many domestic structures. Like many other early campus buildings, the science and art building embodied the popular interest in historic architectural designs and natural construction materials. The 1902 catalog eloquently noted, "Every effort has been made both in construction and equipment to make the studio a germinating centre and exponent of the artistic spirit." It was built in 1898, making it one of the oldest buildings on campus. It was the only new classroom facility built during the first year of construction. The building was moved around 1920 and its exterior radically altered to make it conform more closely to the renovated Main design. It has lost a lot of its historical integrity.

Subjects
Education
Moving Of Structures
Educational Facilities


Related Names
Ament, James E.
Ott, Cynthia, Historian
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Silver%25252525252525252525252525252525252525252BSpring, Maryland