Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Sharpsburg

>

Antietam National Cemetery, Boonsboro Pike (State Route 34), Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD



B&W Photos

HB602007
4th New York Volunteers (1st Scott Life Guard) Monument

HB602008
Company 'f' 1st U.s

HB602009
Goodloe E

HB602010
20th Regiment New York Volunteers (turner Rifles) Monument

HB602011
Jacob Duryee Monument

HB602012
Irish Brigade, Union Soldiers Monument

HB602013
General Perspective View Of Rostrom Monument

HB602014
Elevation View Of Rostrom Monument

HB602015
Memorial Bench To The Union Soldiers Of The Civil War

HB602016
Iron Cannon (north)

HB602017
Iron Cannon (south)


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Boonsboro Pike (State Route 34), Sharpsburg, MD

Find maps of Sharpsburg, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-936
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-135).
Building/structure dates: 1865 initial construction
Significance: On September 17, 1862, over 23,000 men and boys were killed or wounded during the Battle of Antietam near Sharpsburg, Maryland. In early 1864, Maryland State Senator Lewis P. Frey introduced legislation to establish a state and national cemetery in which these soldiers could be laid to their final rest. After passage of the resolution, land for the Antietam Cemetery was contracted to be purchased on April 25, 1864, at the cost of $100.00 per acre. An 11-1/4 acre tract was bought from the Robert F. Kennedy Farm, but the final transfer of property did not take place until August 1865. The cemetery was built with contribution totaling $70,000.00 from 18 Union states. Buried within are 4,776 Union soldiers; of whom 1,836 are unknown. Also buried in the cemetery are 200 soldiers from the Spanish American War, World War I, World War II, and the Korean War. The cemetery was closed to future burials in 1953.

Subjects
Cemeteries
Stone Buildings
War (Civil War)


Related Names
Biggs, A. A.
Kahler, Charles C.
Firey, Lewis P.
Pletz, Paul J.
Robert Wood & Company
Byron, Goodloe E.
Bloomberg, Janet M., Field Team
Eschtruth, Philip L., Field Team
Searl, Donald D., Field Team
Allen, Lori A., Field Team
Sein, Jorge L., Delineator
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. 4TH NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS (1ST SCOTT LIFE GUARD) MONUMENT
2. COMPANY 'F' 1ST U.S. SHARPSHOOTERS (VERMONT SHARPSHOOTERS) MONUMENT
3. GOODLOE E. BYRON MONUMENT
4. 20TH REGIMENT NEW YORK VOLUNTEERS (TURNER RIFLES) MONUMENT
5. JACOB DURYEE MONUMENT
6. IRISH BRIGADE, UNION SOLDIERS MONUMENT
7. GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF ROSTROM MONUMENT
8. ELEVATION VIEW OF ROSTROM MONUMENT
9. MEMORIAL BENCH TO THE UNION SOLDIERS OF THE CIVIL WAR
10. IRON CANNON (NORTH)
11. IRON CANNON (SOUTH)


Back to Sharpsburg, Maryland