Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Sharpsburg vicinity

>

Joseph Poffenberger Farm, Barn, 17834 Mansfield Avenue, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD



B&W Photos

HB602560
View Of Barn And Other Farm Buildings From Southeast

HB602561
Perspective View Of West Side And South (front)

HB602562
Closer Perspective View Of West Side And South (front)


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
17834 Mansfield Avenue, Sharpsburg vicinity, MD

Find maps of Sharpsburg, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-966-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N1030).
Significance: The Joseph Poffenberger Farm was originally part of a large estate owned by James Chapline, who rented farm-size parcels to various tenants. The original Poffenberger Barn was most likely constructed by one of the tenants, at an unknown date in the early nineteenth century. The farm was purchased by Joseph Coffman in 1843, who in turn sold it to his son-in-law, Joseph Poffenberger , in 1851. The farm was occupied by the Union Army’s 1st Corps on 16 September 1862, in preparation for the Battle of Antietam the following day, with General Joseph Hooker taking shelter in the barn. Following the battle the barn was used as a temporary field hospital.Following the Civil War, Joseph was joined by his nephew Otho in farming the property. In September 1876, according to a Hagerstown newspaper, four outbuildings, including the barn, were destroyed by fire at the Poffenberger Farm. The present barn was presumably rebuilt by Otho Poffenberger on the original barn foundation. In 2000 the Joseph Poffenberger farm was acquired by the National Park Service, as part of Antietam National Battlefield. The barn remains in use as an agricultural building.The barn at the Joseph Poffenberger Farm is a good example of a Pennsylvania bank barn, an agricultural building type introduced to the region by Swiss and German settlers in the mid-eighteenth century. The foundation and lower level exterior walls were built of limestone masonry construction. The lower level features a half-open cantilevered forebay along the south side, and housed feeding and milking stalls for livestock. An earthen ramp leads to the upper level on the north side of the barn. The upper level was built of heavy timber construction, with mortise-and-tenon and pegged joints. The barn is sheathed with vertical oak boards of random width. In plan, the upper level housed a central threshing area flanked by two hay/straw mows, with a granary located in the southeast corner.

Subjects
Farming
Wooden Buildings
Bank Barns


Related Names
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Rosenthal, James, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF BARN AND OTHER FARM BUILDINGS FROM SOUTHEAST
2. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST SIDE AND SOUTH (FRONT)
3. CLOSER PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST SIDE AND SOUTH (FRONT)
Perspective view from the southwest
West facade, with scale stick
Perspective view from the northwest
North facade, with scale stick
Perspective view from the northeast
East facade
South facade
Oblique view of south facade
View looking east beneath forebay on south side of barn
Interior view of upper level, looking northeast from west threshing area
interior view of upper level, looking northeast in east mow
Interior view of lower level, looking north in east feeding alley
Interior view of lower level, looking northeast in west feeding area
Interior view of lower level, looking north in east feeding area


Back to Sharpsburg vicinity, Maryland