Dunker Church, Hagerstown & Smoketown Roads, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD
See 26 maps of this location
Photo Caption Pages
Hagerstown & Smoketown Roads, Sharpsburg vicinity, MD
Find maps of Sharpsburg, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-203
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-124).
Building/structure dates: 1853 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1921 subsequent work
Significance: Built in 1853 by members of the Church of the Brethren, the building was a focal point in the Battle of Antietam September 14-19, 1862. Although it collapsed during a storm in 1921, portions of the woodwork, including pews and bricks, were saved and will be included in the 1961 reconstruction of the building on its original foundation. These fragments are detailed in this set of drawings.
Re-creations (conjectural Works)
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Talbutt, James F., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. Historic American Buildings Survey Undated Photocopy NORTHWEST VIEW OF ORIGINAL CHURCH
2. Historic American Buildings Survey Undated Photocopy SOUTHWEST VIEW OF ORIGINAL CHURCH
3. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer December 1961 NORTHWEST VIEW OF RECONSTRUCTED CHURCH
4. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer December 1961 SHUTTER HARDWARE
5. Historic American Buildings Survey Jack E. Boucher, Photographer December 1961 INTERIOR OF RECONSTRUCTED CHURCH
6. EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION
7. PERSPECTIVE VIEW SHOWING EAST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE
8. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF NORTH SIDE AND WEST (REAR)
Back to Sharpsburg vicinity, Maryland