Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Sharpsburg vicinity

>

Chesapeake & Ohio Canal, Stop Lock at Dam No. 4, 85.62 miles above tidewater, Sharpsburg, Washington County, MD



See 26 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
85.62 miles above tidewater, Sharpsburg vicinity, MD

Find maps of Sharpsburg, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-223
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-123).
Building/structure dates: 1835 initial construction
Significance: The Stop Lock at Dam Number Four served to prevent back flooding of the canal above the dam during periods of high water and also served to prevent the loss of water from the canal during emergencies below the dam, both of these being accomplished by the lowering of a temporary timber gate into the canal bed. Only the abutments remain at the present time, the frame windless shed, previously recorded by H.A.B.S., has since been removed. The Stop Lock was probably completed prior to 1835 as the canal was in operation to a point above Dam Number Four by that date.

Subjects
"Mission 66" Program
Water Supply
Locks (hydraulic Facilities)


Related Names
Bobrow, Michael L., Field Team
Harris, William T., Field Team
McDonald, Alan R., Field Team
Wormuth, C. Gustave, Field Team
Carter, Donn, Delineator
Hanna, John H., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Sharpsburg vicinity, Maryland