Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home > Maryland > Seat Pleasant > Addison Chapel, 5610 Addison Road, Seat Pleasant, Prince George's County, MD



B&W Photos
General View Of East (front) And North Side, As Seen From The Cemetery (lowndes & Stoddert Family Raised Graves In Foreground)
HB604361
General View Of East (front) And North Side, As Seen From The Cemetery (lowndes & Stoddert Family Raised Graves In Foreground)
View Of East (front) And North Side, From Northeast
HB604362
View Of East (front) And North Side, From Northeast
East (front) Elevation
HB604363
East (front) Elevation
East (front) Elevation, With Scale
HB604364
East (front) Elevation, With Scale
General View Of East (front) And South Side, From Southeast
HB604365
General View Of East (front) And South Side, From Southeast
View Of West (rear) And North Side Addition, From Northwest
HB604366
View Of West (rear) And North Side Addition, From Northwest
Interior View From Rear Of Church To Alter, Looking West
HB604367
Interior View From Rear Of Church To Alter, Looking West
Interior View From Southwest Corner To Rear Of Church
HB604368
Interior View From Southwest Corner To Rear Of Church
Interior View Of Stair To Gallery, Northeast Corner
HB604369
Interior View Of Stair To Gallery, Northeast Corner


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
5610 Addison Road, Seat Pleasant, MD

Find maps of Seat Pleasant, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-982
Building/structure dates: 1809 initial construction
Significance: Addison Chapel is one of the oldest standing ecclesiastical structures in Prince George's County. Although the current chapel (the third on this site) was probably built after the Revolutionary War, its simple Anglican styling reflects the Colonial-era, Church of England-influenced designs, of which few remain. Addison Chapel was first established in 1696 as a chapel of ease for St. John's at Broad Creek. The parish it serves was one of the thirty original Maryland parishes, created in 1692 when the Church of England was first established in the state. It was named for Colonel John Addison, of Oxon Hill plantation, a leading proponent of the Anglican Church. Addison was responsible for the establishment and construction of Addison Chapel. The chapel is also known as the worshipping, and subsequent burial, place of a number of prominent Maryland families such as the Addisons, Lowndes, Stodderts and Calverts.

Subjects
Churches
Chapels
Religions


Related Names
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. GENERAL VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE, AS SEEN FROM THE CEMETERY (LOWNDES & STODDERT FAMILY RAISED GRAVES IN FOREGROUND)
2. VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE, FROM NORTHEAST
3. EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION
4. EAST (FRONT) ELEVATION, WITH SCALE
5. GENERAL VIEW OF EAST (FRONT) AND SOUTH SIDE, FROM SOUTHEAST
6. VIEW OF WEST (REAR) AND NORTH SIDE ADDITION, FROM NORTHWEST
7. INTERIOR VIEW FROM REAR OF CHURCH TO ALTER, LOOKING WEST
8. INTERIOR VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST CORNER TO REAR OF CHURCH
9. INTERIOR VIEW OF STAIR TO GALLERY, NORTHEAST CORNER


Back to Seat Pleasant, Maryland