Baltimore House, Dependency, 4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale, Prince George's County, MD
See 25 maps of this location
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale, MD
Find maps of Riverdale, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-655-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N617).
Building/structure dates: 1801 initial construction
Significance: This is the only surviving outbuilding of Riversdale, an 1801 plantation house in Prince George's County, Maryland. Dendochronology of its timbers suggests that it predates or is nearly simultaneous with the beginning of construction of the main house (1801-07). ... This structure may have housed the overseer(s) of the mansion's construction and/or some of the workforce itself. When construction began, Henry Stier, the property's owner, was leasing Bostwick in Bladendsburg, about 3/4 mile south. He may have avoided time lost in transit between Riversdale and Bostwick by housing his slave workforce on the site.
Maryland National Capital Park & Planning Commissi
Miller, Morton, Field Team
Child, Colby, Field Team
Kohl, Beryl, Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Riverdale, Maryland