510 Central Avenue (Commercial Building), Ridgely, Caroline County, MD
Photo Caption Pages
Ridgely vicinity, MD
Find maps of Ridgely, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-970
Building/structure dates: 1900 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
Significance: Typical Country Store, originally used as a General Store. Developed by 1913 into a Hardware and Building Supply Store, with supporting Sawmill and Lumberyard.
Burnett, Harry L., Photographer
Warfield, Richard T., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. VIEW NORTH Present day street view of Maryland Route 480 Northeast.
2. VIEW NORTHEAST, SOUTHWEST FRONT Front elevation. Note the altered center section where a storefront was removed. Note addition of a door for entrance to stairway to living quarters added to the second floor.
3. VIEW NORTH, SOUTHWEST FRONT, SOUTHEAST SIDE Front and side elevation. Note gasoline sign post added. Flush store window not altered, 1900 clapboard siding and panelling remaining.
4. VIEW EAST, SOUTHWEST FRONT, NORTHWEST SIDE Side elevation. Note the ground floor windows which were added. Siding is vinyl, but the burned area exposes asbestos siding added when the rear and upper areas were converted to living spaces.
5. VIEW WEST, NORTHEAST REAR, SOUTHEAST SIDE Rear elevation. Note position of middle chimney, showing it in place when the larger front section was added in 1900.
6. VIEW NORTH, INTERIOR OF STORE Note ceiling stripped for addition of supports, but tongue and groove wall panelling and shelving showing. To the left the stairway enclosure was added with door for front entry to the upper apartments.
7. Photocopy of photograph (original print in possession of Mary Lane Knott, 508 Central Avenue, Ridgely MD 21660). Photographer and date unknown, Circa 1900. VIEW EAST, SOUTHWEST FRONT, NORTHWEST SIDE Front and side elevations. Note the duplication of the recessed store front with display windows. Note the break in the original clapboard siding toward the rear on the Northwest side and the new clapboard siding near the buggy. Near the buggy wheel an original brick pier. Note the panelling below the display windows and the penny gumball machine on the wall marked 'Adams Tutti-Frutti'.
8. Photocopy of printed page (original Page 30 of the Souvenir Program 1867-1967 Ridgely Centennial) Photographer unknown. Circa 1967. VIEW NORTHEAST, SOUTHWEST FRONT Ridgely's centennial was celebrated in 1967 and included in the souvenir brochure was page 30. This view shows the subject building with the 1950 modifications to provide for automotive traffic. It was a print of a current photograph.
Back to Ridgely vicinity, Maryland