Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Oxon Hill vicinity

>

Barnaby Manor, Wheeler & Wheeler Hill Roads, Oxon Hill, Prince George's County, MD



See 33 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB589203
South Front, West And East Sides, First And Second Floor Plans

HB589204
Entrance Door And Detail Of Entrance Door Architrave


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Wheeler & Wheeler Hill Roads, Oxon Hill vicinity, MD

Find maps of Oxon Hill, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-314
Significance: Probably built in 1706 for Col. Thomas Addison, the house was later owned by Rev. Henry Addison who sponsored the career of Rev. Jonathan Boucher, the tutor of George Washington's stepson. Rev. Addison returned to England at the out-break of the Revolutionary War and the property was confiscated. With the aid of his nephew, George Plater, later governor of Maryland, Addison regained "Barnaby Manor" where Addison died in 1789. The property continued to be owned by the Addison family through the 1940's. By 1955, however, the house had fallen into ruin and only one chimney remained. The site is now part of a housing development.

Subjects
Houses


Related Names
Erb, Albert P., Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH FRONT, WEST AND EAST SIDES, FIRST AND SECOND FLOOR PLANS
2. ENTRANCE DOOR AND DETAIL OF ENTRANCE DOOR ARCHITRAVE


Back to Oxon Hill vicinity, Maryland