Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Owings Mills vicinity

>

Blendon Estate, Tenant House, 11747 Park Heights Avenue, Owings Mills, Baltimore County, MD



See 42 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB607116

HB607117

HB607118

HB607119

HB607120

HB607121

HB607122

HB607123

HB607124

HB607125

HB607126


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
11747 Park Heights Avenue, Owings Mills vicinity, MD

Find maps of Owings Mills, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-994-A
Building/structure dates: 1850
Building/structure dates: 1900 subsequent work
Significance: The Blendon Estate tenant house has been cited by registration form for the Caves Valley National Register Historic District as "a contributing resource with a high level of integrity and historic and architectural significance to the nomination." Apparently built as a dwelling for tenant farmers working on the northeast portion of "The Caves" estate of the Carroll family, the original, south section of the tenant house was constructed in the 19th century, possibly before 1850. The tenant house was associated with the nearby vernacular bank barn from the time that the barn was constructed in the middle to late 19th century. The tenants of the house were responsible for the livestock and hay-raising operations of John Henry Carroll, and his son, John Nicholas Carroll, on the northeast section of their estate. Although substantially rebuilt and remodeled in the 20th century, the dwelling continued with a similar function after the 1930's, serving as a home for employees of the families who lived in the Breed-Krongard House on the hill above.

Related Names
Carroll, John Henry
Stupich, Martin, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTH ELEVATION OF TENANT HOUSE, VIEW TO NORTH
2. OBLIQUE VIEW OF TENANT HOUSE SOUTHEAST CORNER, VIEW TO NORTHWEST
3. EAST ELEVATION OF TENANT HOUSE, VIEW TO WEST
4. OBLIQUE REAR VIEW OF TENANT HOUSE, VIEW TO SOUTHWEST
5. OBLIQUE REAR VIEW OF TENANT HOUSE, VIEW TO SOUTH/SOUTHWEST
6. OBLIQUE FRONT VIEW OF TENANT HOUSE, VIEW TO NORTHEAST
7. STAIRS IN MAIN BACK (NORTH) ROOM, VIEW TO SOUTH, CUPBOARD DOOR CLOSED
8. SAME VIEW, CUPBOARD DOOR OPEN
9. UPPER SOUTH ROOM, NORTHWEST CORNER, WITH STAIRWELL
10. UPPER ROOMS, VIEW THROUGH CENTER HALL FROM NORTH ROOM TOWARD SOUTH ROOM
11. CELLAR, VIEW TO SOUTHWEST WITH STAIRS


Back to Owings Mills vicinity, Maryland