Owings Mills vicinity>
Blendon Estate, 11747 Park Heights Avenue, Owings Mills, Baltimore County, MD
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Photo Caption Pages
11747 Park Heights Avenue, Owings Mills vicinity, MD
Find maps of Owings Mills, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-994
Building/structure dates: 1750
Significance: The Blendon Estate has been cited by registration form for the Caves Valley National Register Historic District as "a contributing resource with a high level of integrity and historic and architectural significance to the nomination." The significance of the 110-acre tract lies in its origins as part of "The Caves" estate of the Carroll family. Dr. Charles Carroll acquired the land in the early 18th century, and his descendants operated a 2,500-acre farm in the Caves Valley until the 1890's. Despite the subdivision of the Caves property into smaller country estates in the early 20th century, the open, rural character of the 19th century farm has continued. Operation of the Blendon Estate, created by Richard E. Breed, 3rd, in the 1930's, has centered on the Breed-Krongard house, which stands at the top of a hill overlooking the former Caves tract, and on the hay barn and tenant house. The latter two buildings represent uses that have continued on the Blendon tract since the mid-19th century.
Carroll, Dr. Charles
Breed, Richard E.
Stupich, Martin, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. GENERAL VIEW OF SITE TO NORTH/NORTHEAST
Back to Owings Mills vicinity, Maryland