Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Middletown

>

Frederick Stemble House, 113-115 West Main Street, Middletown, Frederick County, MD



See 30 maps of this location


Data Pages


Drawings


Item Title


Location
113-115 West Main Street, Middletown, MD

Find maps of Middletown, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-331
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-134).
Building/structure dates: 1790
Significance: In the late 1700's, Middletown was a small, rural village, situated in the heart of a broad, fertile valley in the Maryland mountains. Through it passed a toll roadway known as the Frederick Pike that connected Baltimore with Cumberland and later became a part of the Great National Pike. Frederick Stemble, a Revolutionary War veteran and local resident, built his house along this road in Middletown in 1790. The house, as originally built by Stemble, was a five bay 2 1/2 story brick structure, with a one story brick kitchen appended to the rear. Stemble himself was not a man of any great historical merit, but he did live in the house intermittently until his death in 1840. Soon after, the house was sold off within his family. Some time thereafter, a two story split log and mortar addition was constructed in the rear of the house; in the 1880's the south and west facades were "Victorianized" with the addition of the highly ornate wooden porch that featured decorative cast iron cresting. In 1926, the building was once again enlarged with the addition of the third story onto the main part of the house. After the death of its most recent owner, the Stemble house was purchased by the adjacent Zion Lutheran Church, and in May 1980 the house was demolished to provide space for a church parking lot.

Subjects
Houses


Related Names
Bowie, John, Delineator
Bowie, John, Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Middletown, Maryland