Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Leeland

>

St. Barnabas Church, 14705 Oak Grove Road, Leeland, Prince George's County, MD



B&W Photos

HB596508
Historic American Buildings Survey John O

HB596509
Historic American Buildings Survey John O

HB596510
Historic American Buildings Survey Delos H

HB596511
Historic American Buildings Survey John O

HB596512
Historic American Buildings Survey John O

HB596513
Historic American Buildings Survey John O

HB596514
General View Of West (front) And South Side, Looking Northeast

HB596515
View Of West (front) Elevation


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
14705 Oak Grove Road, Leeland, MD

Find maps of Leeland, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-128
Building/structure dates: 1774 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1885
Significance: St. Barnabas is one of six extant Colonial-era churches in Prince George's County, and one of only two executed in the Colonial, Georgian style. This, Queen Anne's, Parish is also among the oldest parishes in the county, having been established by an act of assembly in 1704. Due to its long and active associations with some of the county's most prominent families, St. Barnabas exemplifies the social, religious and historical heritage of the county and state. The current church was constructed in 1774 to replace the second church on this site. In the 1850s, it was renovated and remodeled, with Victorian detailing added. It was eventually restored to its original appearance in 1974.

Subjects
Churches
Catholicism


Related Names
Brostrup, John O., Photographer
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian
Smith, Delos H., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
8. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 20, 1937 2:40 P.M. GENERAL VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST.
9. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 21, 1936 2:25 P. M. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST (front)
10. Historic American Buildings Survey Delos H. Smith, Photographer 1936
11. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 20, 1937 2:50 P.M. VIEW FROM WEST.
12. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 20, 1937 2:45 P.M. DETAIL OF BRICKWORK.
13. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 20, 1937 2:50 P.M. DETAIL OF BRICKWORK.
14. GENERAL VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) AND SOUTH SIDE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
15. VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION


Back to Leeland, Maryland