Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Laurel

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Station, Laurel, 101 Lafayette Avenue, Laurel, Prince George's County, MD



B&W Photos

HB603948

HB603949

HB603950

HB603951

HB603952

HB603953

HB603954

HB603955

HB603956

HB603957

HB603958

HB603959

HB603960

HB603961


Data Pages


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Station, Laurel, 101 Lafayette Avenue, Laurel, Prince George's County, MD

Location
101 Lafayette Avenue, Laurel, MD

Find maps of Laurel, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-973
Building/structure dates: 1884 initial construction
Significance: The Laurel B&O Station is significant as the only surviving railroad station in Prince George's County, and an example of decorative Victorian-era railroad architecture. It was designed by Baltimore architect Francis E. Baldwin who was responsible for most of the B&O's Maryland stations and two of its office buildings in Baltimore. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, one of the oldest in the nation, opened its Washington branch in 1835. The first and most important of three railways through Prince George's County, it entered Prince George's here in Laurel and continued in a southwesterly direction, carrying both freight and passengers, to Beltsville, College Park, Riverdale, Hyattsville and on to the District. The presence of the B&O in Laurel, as shown by this station, greatly affected its growth and prominence as a highly populated area of commerce, the industrial center of this agricultural county. The Laurel station is now the last of the old Washington Branch stations.

Subjects
Railroad Stations


Related Names
Baldwin, Francis E.
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. SOUTHEAST FRONT TRACKSIDE ELEVATION, WITHOUT SCALE
2. SOUTHEAST FRONT TRACKSIDE ELEVATION, WITH STATIONMASTER
3. SOUTHEAST FRONT TRACKSIDE ELEVATION, WITH SCALE
4. VIEW, FROM EAST
5. VIEW, FROM NORTHEAST, SHOWS TRACK AND SRS143, A SPERRY (????) CAR USED TO TEST RAIL FOR CRACKS AND DEFECTS
6. GENERAL VIEW, SOUTHEAST FRONT, FROM SOUTH
7. DETAIL VIEW, BRACKET, SOUTHWEST END OF SOUTHEAST FRONT, FROM SOUTHWEST
8. SOUTHWEST (END) ELEVATION
9. GENERAL VIEW, NORTHWEST REAR, FROM NORTH
10. GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW OF WAITING ROOM, LOOKING WEST TOWARDS TICKET WINDOW AND DOORWAY INTO RESTROOM
11. GENERAL INTERIOR VIEW AS ABOVE WITH STATION MASTER
12. INTERIOR VIEW, DETAIL OF TICKET WINDOW AT SOUTHWEST WALL OF WAITING ROOM
13. INTERIOR VIEW, DETAIL OF METERED WARNING BELL (PRIOR TO ARRIVAL OF TRAINS), LOCATED IN TICKET OFFICE, SOUTHWEST WALL
14. DETAIL VIEW, SPERRY CAR TRUCK SHOWING SENSORS


Back to Laurel, Maryland