Sotterly, State Route 245 & Vista Road, Hollywood, St. Mary's County, MD
See 18 maps of this location
State Route 245 & Vista Road Vicinity, Hollywood vicinity, MD
Find maps of Hollywood, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-181
Building/structure dates: 1717 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1750 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1910 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1914 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1950 subsequent work
National Register Number: 72001487
Conservation & Restoration
Cornwallis, Capt. Thomas
Perry, Capt. Richard
Worthington, Addison F., Delineator
The Sotterley Mansion Foundation, Inc., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
1. View from portico toward Patuxent River, looking east across fields. The nearer water is Sotterly Creek flowing from the right.
2. View towards Patuxent River looking northeast from front lawn.
3. Front of Mansion, facing east, shows portico, raised section of second story, and section (south of extreme left chimney) added c. 1914. Winter view.
4. Front of Mansion, Summer view.
5. Flagstone portico, at extreme left, door to dining room.
6. Mansion's front and north end. Restored in brick in 1914. At right, West wing (Library).
7. Angle of Mansion's north end (left) and west wing. (Library)
8. West View. (land side)
9. Entrance hall and stairs
10. Entrance hall, door to drawing room (right) and to library.
11. Entrance hall and stairs, looking east. Note summer beam.
12. West wing (library). Door on left of fireplace is former entrance to cellar.
13. Drawing room. (North end) showing shell alcoves.
14. Drawing room #1
15. Drawing room #2
16. Drawing room (south end), mahogany entrance door, showing brass rising hinges.
17. Small parlor, door to entrance hall.
18. Small parlor, door to dining room at right. Door at left to concealed passage to room above.
19. Dining room, (south end.)
20. Dining room. (north end)
21. Upstairs hall, window toward river
22. West bedroom ('Platter room') over library.
23. Kitchen wing and chimney, extending eastward, built in early 19th century and removed c. 1910.
24. East front: at left, 19th century kitchen wing. (c. 1910)
25. East Front. At right, north end of mansion.
26. East Front.
27. Looking south along front portico. (c. 1910)
28. Looking north along front portico showing break between earliest main part of house and dining room. (c. 1910)
29. East front. C. 1910
30. East front, showing cupola with medallion. (C. 1910)
31. East front and north end in 1910
32. North end (left) and north side of west wing (library) c. 1910
33. West end of west wing.
34. West View (land side) of Mansion before 1914.
Back to Hollywood vicinity, Maryland