Little Crossings Bridge, National Road (U.S. Route 40) spanning Casselman R, Grantsville, Garrett County, MD
National Road (U.S. Route 40) spanning Casselman R, Grantsville vicinity, MD
Find maps of Grantsville, MD
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MD-128
Building/structure dates: 1813 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1911 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1933 subsequent work
Significance: Bridge construction began in late 1813 and proceeded through the summer of 1814 despite several delays due to increased rains. On November 16, 1814, workers successfully turned "the largest and we think the most permanent stone arch in the United States." Shortly thereafter, William Aull received a contract for filling the bridge with rubble stone. By 1815, the fill had been deposited and settled sufficiently to allow the first wheeled vehicles across the bridge. Little Crossings Bridge remained in use until the end of the 19th century when it fell into a state of disrepair. After being fully restored in 1911 for automobile and truck traffic, it continued in service until 1933 when a steel truss bridge was erected nearby for newly-aligned U.S. 40. In its 118 years of service, countless freight and passenger vehicles, pedestrians, and livestock crossed Little Crossings Bridge on America's first federally-funded and built highway. In recognition of its outstanding contributions to our nation's heritage, Little Crossings Bridge was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1963. It is owned by the State of Maryland and preserved as part of the Casselman Bridge State Park.
Abraham Kerns & John Bryson
McClung, Kevin, Delineator
McTaggart, Cornel, Delineator
Hriblan, John, Delineator
Christianson, Justine, Historian
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Grantsville vicinity, Maryland