Glen Echo Park, Yellow Barn, 7300 McArthur Boulevard, Glen Echo, Montgomery County, MD
See 26 maps of this location
7300 McArthur Boulevard, Glen Echo, MD
Find maps of Glen Echo, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-1080-E
Building/structure dates: 1914 initial construction
See HABS No. MD-1080-D for measured drawings
Significance: Glen Echo's Yellow Barn is a tangible reminder of the site's Chautauqua-era past and of its first years as an amusement park under the stewardship of Leonard B. Schloss and the ownership of Capital Transit. The east (rear) elevation is a remnant of the Chautauqua-period store and arcade structure and the sturdy stone masonry construction of that entity stands in contrast to the lighter, wood frame sections built up around, and beside, it in 1914 when the so-called Yellow Barn was erected. The Chautauqua-era stone wall is about 96' in length and 30" thick. Although incorporating the Chautauqua-era wall and foundations were extant, the Yellow Barn was a utilitarian structure that served the administrative and maintenance needs of the business side of the amusement park. In this sense, the building was a "barn" in the storage or shelter understanding of the term, and so rather than call it a maintenance shop or shed, the building was named for its colorful exterior paint and loosely for its function.
Glen Echo Amusement Park
Mindeleff, Victor E.
Gibble, Michael, Field Team
Vazquez, J. Raul, Field Team
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Kutsevych, Bogdan, Field Team
Price, Virginia B., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Glen Echo, Maryland