Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Glen Echo

>

Glen Echo Park, Chautauqua Tower, 7300 McArthur Boulevard, Glen Echo, Montgomery County, MD



B&W Photos

HB626018
BWPhotos 380173

HB626019
BWPhotos 380174

HB626020
BWPhotos 380175

HB626021
BWPhotos 380176

HB626022
BWPhotos 380177

HB626023
BWPhotos 380178

HB626024
BWPhotos 380179

HB626025
BWPhotos 380180

HB626026
BWPhotos 380181

HB626027
BWPhotos 380182

HB626028
BWPhotos 380183

HB626029
BWPhotos 380184

HB626030
BWPhotos 380185

HB626031
BWPhotos 380186

HB626032
BWPhotos 380187

HB626033
BWPhotos 380188


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Color Transparencies

Image not currently available to download
Please email us to
purchase this image.
Item Title


Location
7300 McArthur Boulevard, Glen Echo, MD

Find maps of Glen Echo, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1080-D
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N696).
Building/structure dates: 1891 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1914 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Significance: The substantial, three-story tower is the only intact structure remaining from the late nineteenth-century Chautauqua community based at Glen Echo, Maryland. The stonework reinforces the tower's significance as it alone conveys the massive scale of the Chautauqua building campaign and the picturesque quality of the site overall. The Chautauqua Tower, known during the period as one of the gate towers, was constructed of stone in 1891 shortly after Edward and Edmund Baltzley deeded part of their land holdings to the National Chautauqua of Glen Echo. The Baltzley brothers also hired a well-established architect from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Theophilus Parsons Chandler, to design several of the earliest Glen Echo Chautauqua structures, including the Amphitheater. In addition, Chandler drew up plans for a hotel that was never realized. However, it was a local architect named Victor E. Mindeleff who was responsible for the gate tower and for some of the other buildings on the Glen Echo Chautauqua grounds. Mindeleff was remembered as someone with a reputation for creating rustic stone structures and so his milieu fit in well with the Baltzleys's desire to capitalize on the "rugged grandeur of the glen."

Subjects
Stone Buildings (freestone)
Towers
Recreation


Related Names
National Chautauqua Of Glen Echo
Baltzley, Edward
Baltzley, Edwin
Chandler, Theophilus Parsons
Mindeleff, Victor E.
Mindeleff, Cosmos
Gibble, Michael, Field Team
Vazquez , J. Raul, Field Team
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Kutsevych, Bogdan, Field Team
Price, Virginia B., Historian
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Schara, Mark, Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
PHOTOGRAMMETRIC VIEW OF THE TOWER, LOOKING TO THE NORTHWEST ELEVATION (VIEW TAKEN FROM LIFT)
PHOTOGRAMMETRIC VIEW OF THE TOWER, LOOKING TO THE SOUTHWEST ELEVATION (VIEW TAKEN FROM LIFT)


Back to Glen Echo, Maryland