Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Garrett%25252BPark

>

St. James Chapel, 10814 Kenilworth Avenue, Garrett Park, Montgomery County, MD



See 29 maps of this location


Drawings


Item Title


Location
10814 Kenilworth Avenue, Garrett%25252BPark, MD

Find maps of Garrett%25252BPark, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1129
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N621).
Building/structure dates: 1897 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1923 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1953 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1968 subsequent work
0.2
Significance: Garrett Park Town Hall was built in 1897 as the St. James Chapel, an Episcopalian and interdenominational chapel with funds raised by town residents. From its original construction, it was used for community activities, including town council meetings. It was officially converted for use as a town hall after an advisory referendum in 1968. A 24' x 40' building was planned in public meetings in late 1896, with its construction and financing supervised by a board of managers. Cost of the original building was $1,400. The contractor was a Mr. Groome from Rockville. The bell, which still hangs in the tower, was donated by a local resident. In 1899, the town requested an outside privy be erected. Electricity was installed in 1915 by A.A. MacMillan, who donated his services. Funds were collected in late 1923 for an extension to the rear, used as a kitchen and storage area. Two Sunday school rooms were used as public school classrooms for the 1927-28 school year. In 1953, the chapel was sold to the 7th Day Adventist Church, which upgraded the heating system, finally built indoor toilets adjacent to the bell tower, and added a kitchen and two rooms at the rear. They sold the building to the town in April of 1968. Since then, the pews have been removed, the kitchen upgraded, and the rear addition remodeled.

Subjects
Religious Services
Municipal Government
Education


Related Names
Groome
Macmillan, A. A.
Moshane Bell Foundry
Kreis, Darya, Delineator
Marcus, Marjorie, Delineator
Neumann, Matthew, Delineator


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Garrett%25252BPark, Maryland