Garrett Park, Garrett Park, Montgomery County, MD
See 29 maps of this location
Garrett Park, MD
Find maps of Garrett Park, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-1130
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N622).
Building/structure dates: 1891 initial construction
Significance: Garrett Park, platted in 1887 by the Metropolitan Investment and Building Company, originated as a railroad suburb. The houses built were intended to fulfill the American ideals of home ownership and nature away from the "noise and grime of the city, yet remain accessible to the scene of man's labor." Garrett Park, named for John W. Garrett, then president of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, is situated approximately 11 miles from downtown Washington, D.C. on the B&O line. Laid out by engineer John T. Freeman and horticulturalist William Saunders, Garrett Park was modeled after "an old English village," emphasizing the tasteful integration of home and nature. Street names were intended to harken to British sylvan ideals with names like Argyle, Albemarle, Strathmore, Surrey, and Waverly. Rock Creek Park, forming the eastern boundary of the town, added to the charm of the rustic setting.
Metropolitan Investment & Building Company
Garrett, John W.
Baltimore & Ohio (B & O) Railroad
Freeman, John T.
Maddux, Marshall & Company
Child, Colby A., Delineator
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Garrett Park, Maryland