Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Flintstone+vicinity

>

William House Farm, East side of West Wilson Road, Flintstone, Allegany County, MD



See 36 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB610997
BWPhotos 338393

HB610998
BWPhotos 338394

HB610999
BWPhotos 338395

HB611000
BWPhotos 338396

HB611001
BWPhotos 338397

HB611002
BWPhotos 338398

HB611003
BWPhotos 338399


Item Title
BWPhotos 338399

Location
East side of West Wilson Road, Flintstone+vicinity, MD

Find maps of Flintstone+, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1081
Building/structure dates: 1837 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1875 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1925 subsequent work
Significance: The William House Farm is significant as a contributing resource in the Breakneck Road Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The complex is typical of the mixed farming carried on in the mountainous terrain of eastern Allegany County from the settlement period in the late eighteenth century well into the twentieth century. It comprises a dwelling consisting of a ca. 1837 one-and-one-half-story, hall-parlor house of V-notched log construction, enlarged in the late 19th century by a two-story frame addition; a timber-frame bank barn; a wash house of vertical-plank construction; several frame outbuildings, including a poultry house, animal shed, privy, and storage/equipment shed; and a log structure, probably originally part of a wagon shed or small barn, most recently used as a sheepfold.

Subjects
Agriculture
Farms
Log Buildings


Related Names
U.S. Department Of Agriculture
Fellows, George E.
House, William
House, Enoch
House, Allen
Seibert, Michael, Field Team
Schamp, J. Brough, Photographer
Kurtze, Peter E., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Flintstone+vicinity, Maryland