William House Farm, Barn, East side of West Wilson Road, Flintstone, Allegany County, MD
East side of West Wilson Road, Flintstone vicinity, MD
Find maps of Flintstone, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-1081-B
Building/structure dates: 1875 initial construction
Significance: The barn on the William House Farm is significant as a typical example of a timber-frame bank barn, representative of a type of structure associated with the mixed farming carried on in eastern Allegany County from the settlement period of the late eighteenth century into the twentieth century. Its two-level, three-bay form and timber-frame construction on a stone basement are characteristic features. The barn appears to be a relatively late example of the type, probably dating from the last quarter of the nineteenth century, and as such is noteworthy for its perpetuation of a traditional form and construction method into the recent period. The farm complex of which the barn is a part is a contributing resource in the Breakneck Road Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Fellows, George E.
Seibert, Michael, Field Team
Schamp, J. Brough, Photographer
Kurtze, Peter E., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Flintstone vicinity, Maryland