Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Darlington

>

Kirk House, Darlington Road, west side (State Route 161), Darlington, Harford County, MD



See 35 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB591425

HB591426


Data Pages


Item Title


Location
west side (State Route 161), Darlington, MD

Find maps of Darlington, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-513
Significance: The Kirk House, built c. 1810, is one of the oldest buildings in the village of Darlington and in northeastern Harford County. Located at the main crossroads of Darlington, it was likely originally used both as a residential and commercial structure. The walls are constructed of carefully dressed local Wissahickon schist and Port Deposit granite laid in a random ashlar pattern. Large gray granite quoins accent the corners of the main façade and the same stone is used as window lintels. The slate roof was quarried in nearby Cardiff.The Kirk House is named for the father and son physicians who lived and practiced here from the 1890s until 1968. The village of Darlington began as a rural Quaker settlement during the first half of the eighteenth century. The Quakers remained a strong presence in the village, which became a center for trade in northeastern Harford County during the first half of the nineteenth century. Much of this trade was prompted by the growth of the Susquehanna River fishing industry and the construction of the Susquehanna and Tidewater Canal.

Subjects
Houses
Stone Buildings
Domestic Life


Related Names
Pickering, E. H., Photographer


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey E. H. Pickering, Photographer June 1936 ELEVATION FROM ROAD
2. Historic American Buildings Survey E. H. Pickering, Photographer June 1936 THE BACK BUILDING
Perspective view from south/southeast with road in foreground.
Perspective view from south/southeast.


Back to Darlington, Maryland