Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Cumberland

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Rail Rolling Mill, Elm Street & Locust Alley, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD



B&W Photos

HB571423

HB571424

HB571425

HB571426

HB571427

HB571428

HB571429

HB571430

HB571431


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
Elm Street & Locust Alley, Cumberland, MD

Find maps of Cumberland, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-2-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-3).
Building/structure dates: 1871 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1981 demolished
Significance: With the inexhaustible supply of coal and the eventual juncture of the route to Pittsburgh with the mainline at Cumberland, the B & O though significant economics were available by producing rails and other rolled products at this location, rather than purchasing them from commercial mills. The Rail Rolling Mill is one of several large manufacturing buildings erected by the railroad in Cumberland, beginning in 1869. The mill, completed in 1871, was standard heavy-timber construction. However, there were no columns that impeded floor space, thus allowing completed flexibility in the placement of machinery and the arrangement of manufacturing processes at ground level. Rather than rows of columns supporting the roof, it was carried by a 99'-6" clear-spanning Howe truss with central ventilating monitor running nearly the entire 316 foot length of the building. Originally, the mill had twelve puddling furnaces, a rail-train with three sets of rolls, and one squeezer. There were also three pairs of hot shears for cutting iron, two saws, two blowers and two forging hammers -- all driven by steam engines. At the time of the survey, all rolling mills, machinery and equipment had been removed and the mill was used for storage. The entire Cumberland shops were demolished in 1981.

Subjects
Forge Shops
Industrial Facilities
Metallurgical Industry


Related Names
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Company


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. VIEW OF HEAVY TIMBER ROOF TRUSSES
2. DETAIL OF IRON TENSION CLASP CONNECTING WOODEN MEMBERS OF THE BOTTOM CHORD OF ROOF TRUSS
3. VIEW LOOKING THROUGH ROOF TRUSSES
4. SUPPORT FRAME FOR FURNACE
5. DETAIL VIEW OF BASE OF FURNACE
6. 3/4 VIEW OF SOUTH AND EAST ELEVATIONS OF FABRICATING SHOP
7. DETAIL OF ROOF TRUSSES
8. DETAIL VIEW SHOWING BOTTOM CHORDS OF ROOF TRUSSES
9. VIEW FROM ROOF OF RAIL ROLLING MILL LOOKING SOUTHWEST AT FABRICATING SHOP


Back to Cumberland, Maryland