Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Cumberland

>

Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Bolt & Forge Shop, Spring Street, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD



B&W Photos

HB571312

HB571313

HB571314

HB571315

HB571316

HB571317

HB571318

HB571319

HB571320

HB571321


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title
Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, Bolt & Forge Shop, Spring Street, Cumberland, Allegany County, MD

Location
Spring Street, Cumberland, MD

Find maps of Cumberland, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1968.

Notes
Survey number HAER MD-2-B
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (FN-2).
Building/structure dates: 1873 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1963
Building/structure dates: 1981 demolished
Significance: The Bolt and Forge Shop was originally a rolling mill for the manufacture of bar and other iron products, according to the B&O Annual Report of 1873. It is 99 feet by 228 feet 7 inches. The Bolt and Forge Shop was significant in its building technology because of an all iron frame that was designed by the B & O's Mt. Clare Shops in Baltimore, Maryland. Cast-iron columns, buttressed with unusual cast-iron brackets at ground level, supported by a clear span, Fink truss fabricated in cast and wrought-iron. The track-side wall was built of brick while the three remaining walls were covered in corrugated galvanized iron. The estimated cost of the shop was $183,174.24. Affiliation of the B & O with the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad in 1963 resulted in the rolling mill closing down. The shops saw limited use as repair facilities for Westinghouse air-brakes coupler hoses for railroad cards and storage. The entire Cumberland shop complex was demolished in 1981.

Subjects
Forge Shops
Industrial Facilities
Metallurgical Industry


Related Names
B & O Railroad Mount Clare Shops
Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad


Collection
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. DETAIL VIEW OF TRUSS END CONNECTION
2. DETAIL VIEW OF TRUSS END CONNECTION SHOWING BRACKETS FROM WHICH VERTICAL, SLIDING DOORS WERE HUNG
3. VIEW OF INTERIOR ROOF STRUCTURE
4. VIEW OF INTERIOR ROOF STRUCTURE SHOWING DETAILS OF BOOM CHORD CONNECTIONS
5. VIEW OF INTERIOR FLOOR SPACE
6. DETAIL VIEW OF CAST-IRON BRACKETS THAT BUTTRESSED COLUMNS
7. DETAIL VIEW OF TWO BAYS ON SIDE ELEVATION
8. 3/4 VIEW OF SHOP, SHOWING TRACK FACADE
9. 3/4 VIEW OF SHOP FROM SOUTHEAST
10. AERIAL VIEW OF SHOP, LOOKING NORTH, FROM ROOF OF RAIL-ROLLING MILL


Back to Cumberland, Maryland