St. Thomas' Church, 14300 St. Thomas' Church Road at Croom Road, Croom, Prince George's County, MD
Photo Caption Pages
14300 St. Thomas' Church Road at Croom Road, Croom, MD
Find maps of Croom, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-631
Building/structure dates: 1742 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1858 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1888 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1958 subsequent work
Significance: St. Thomas' Episcopal Church is one of the earliest Episcopal churches in Southern Maryland, and one of the most intact. It is also notable for its associations with important early citizens, particularly Rev. John Eversfield and Bishop Thomas John Clagett. The original main block was built in cruciform plan in 1742. The Gothic Revival pointed-arched window and the apse were added in 1858, and the bell tower, in 1888. The church -- an important county as well as community landmark -- is in excellent condition, having had its few missing original features restored after careful study in 1958.
Eversfield, Rev. John
Clagett, Bishop. Thomas John
Priest, John W.
Allen, William H.
Grigg, Milton L.
Boucher, Jack E., Photographer
Bostrup, John O., Photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
2. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer July 23, 1936 1:35 P. M. VIEW FROM SOUTHWEST
3. GENERAL PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) LOOKING SOUTHEAST THROUGH THE FRONT GATES
4. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) AND NORTH SIDE, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
5. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION
6. WEST (FRONT) ELEVATION, WITH SCALE
7. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) ENTRYWAY, LOOKING SOUTHEAST
8. PERSPECTIVE VIEW OF WEST (FRONT) AND SOUTH SIDE, LOOKING NORTHEAST
9. INTERIOR VIEW, LOOKING EAST TOWARDS ALTAR
Back to Croom, Maryland