Blandair, Slave Quarters, 6651 Highway 175, Columbia, Howard County, MD
See 27 maps of this location
6651 Highway 175, Columbia, MD
Find maps of Columbia, MD
Documentation compiled after 1933.
Survey number HABS MD-1149-A
Unprocessed field note material exists for this structure (N945).
Building/structure dates: 1845 initial construction
Significance: The slave quarters at Blandair was built ca. 1845, predating the adjacent brick manor house. Supported by a rubble stone foundation, the building's walls were constructed of 2 1/2" thick sawn wood planks, with mud chinking and dovetail notches at the corners. The exterior is sheathed with vertical board and batten siding, wood framing supports the gable roof. A substantial brick and stone double fireplace occupies the center of the quarters, effectively dividing the building into two rooms. Each has its own exterior entrance and stair opening to the attic loft, although only the south stair survives. Although the double-pen plan suggests occupation by two slave families, there is no evidence of a partition wall between the two rooms.
Conservation & Restoration
Schara, Mark, Field Team
Davidson, Lisa P., Field Team
Lavoie, Catherine C., Field Team
Rosenthal, James, Photographer
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)
Back to Columbia, Maryland