Clarysville Bridge, Spanning Braddocks Run at National Road (U.S. Rout, Clarysville, Allegany County, MD
See 27 maps of this location
Spanning Braddocks Run at National Road (U.S. Rout, Clarysville, MD
Find maps of Clarysville, MD
Documentation compiled after 1968.
Survey number HAER MD-127
Building/structure dates: 1812 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1843 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1976 subsequent work
Significance: James Kinkead, a local bridge builder and stage line operator, built Clarysville Bridge for $1,100 in 1812. Kinkead held one of the first construction contracts awarded by the federal government on the Cumberland Road project. He erected other bridges and culverts along the route, including the massive 1815 triple-span masonry arch bridge over the Youghiogheny River in Pennsylvania. Clarysville Bridge spans Braddocks Run in the village of Clarysville, Maryland, approximately nine miles west of Cumberland. It displays regular courses of rough cut stone and a narrow belt course above the keystone arch topped by a parapet wall. The bridge was filled with rubble stone. Compared to other monumental bridges on the road, it is relatively simple in its form. It is a fine example of the permanent bridge designs of private contractors under contract to the federal government and embodies the functional design and superb workmanship commonly employed on the Cumberland Road.
Alleghany County Department Of Public Works
Daley, Scott W., Delineator
Historic American Engineering Record (Library of Congress)
Back to Clarysville, Maryland