Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming


Home

>

Maryland

>

Bladensburg

>

Magruder House, 4703 Annapolis Road (Bladensburg Road), Bladensburg, Prince George's County, MD



B&W Photos

HB587555

HB587556

HB587557

HB587558

HB587559

HB587560

HB587561

HB587562

HB587563

HB587564

HB587565

HB587566

HB587567

HB587568

HB587569


Data Pages


Drawings


Photo Caption Pages


Item Title


Location
4703 Annapolis Road (Bladensburg Road), Bladensburg, MD

Find maps of Bladensburg, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-616
Building/structure dates: 1743 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1981 subsequent work
Significance: The Hilleary-Magruder House is the only extant stone house executed in the Tidewater style in Prince George's County. A mid-18th century, one-and-a-half story, stone gambrel-roof structure, it reflects residential forms of the early settlement period in the country. It was most likely one of the earliest extant residences of substantial construction in Prince George's, as opposed to the less durable wood-frame structures typical of periods of early settlement. It appeared in Bladensburg at about the same time that the town was established by the General Assembly of Maryland in an effort to encourage trade and commerce. It is also significant as one of only four structures existing from pre-Revolutionary War Bladensburg (the other three are Bostwick-HABS No. MD-616, the Market Master's house and Washington Tavern). Historically, the house is connected with prominent Prince George's personages. It was also reportedly visited by George Washington (1787), and British troops during the battle of Bladensburg.

Subjects
Conservation & Restoration
Business & Finance
U.S. Presidents


Related Names
Prince George's Heritage, Incorporated
Wollon, James Thomas
Rothrock, Gail, Field Team
Pearl, Susan G., Field Team
Brostrup, John O., Photographer
Boucher, Jack, Photographer
Lavoie, Catherine C., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents
Photograph caption(s): 
1. Historic American Buildings Survey John O. Brostrup, Photographer April 30, 1936 2:20 P. M. VIEW FROM NORTHWEST.
2. GENERAL VIEW, NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION
3. NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION, WITHOUT SCALE
4. NORTH (FRONT) ELEVATION, WITH SCALE
5. PERSPECTIVE VIEW, NORTH FRONT, WEST SIDE, FROM NORTHWEST
6. PERSPECTIVE VIEW, EAST SIDE FROM NORTHEAST
7. SOUTH (REAR) ELEVATION
8. INTERIOR VIEW, STAIRHALL, FROM WEST
9. VIEW OF POST NEWELL, FIRST FLOOR, LOOKING NORTH TO FRONT DOOR
10. NORTHWEST ROOM, SOUTHWEST CORNER, FIRST FLOOR, SHOWS FIREPLACE AND CLOSET ON WEST WALL
11. DETAIL VIEW, SECOND FLOOR BALLUSTRADE, FROM EAST
12. DOOR WITH CAT DOOR, SOUTHEAST ROOM WALL, SECOND FLOOR
13. DETAIL VIEW, DOOR WITH CAT DOOR, SOUTHEAST ROOM WALL, SECOND FLOOR (WITH SCALE)
14. DETAIL VIEW, BRICK VAULT, CELLAR, NORTH FRONT, UNDER PORCH
15. VIEW, SOUTHWEST ROOM, CELLAR, LOOKING WEST, SHOWS ARCH AND FIREPLACE FOUNDATION


Back to Bladensburg, Maryland