Historic Photographs

Home

Search

Subject Browse
Browse by Subject >>

State/City Browse
Alaska
Alabama
Arkansas
Arizona
California
Colorado
Connecticut
District of Columbia
Delaware
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Iowa
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Massachusetts
Maryland
Maine
Michigan
Minnesota
Missouri
Mississippi
Montana
North Carolina
North Dakota
Nebraska
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
Nevada
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Virginia
Vermont
Washington
Wisconsin
West Virginia
Wyoming

Home

>

Maryland

>

Bethesda

>

Wilson Estate, Tree Tops, 9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, Montgomery County, MD



See 27 maps of this location


B&W Photos

HB622180
BWPhotos 379984

HB622181
BWPhotos 379985

HB622182
BWPhotos 379986

HB622183
BWPhotos 379987

HB622184
BWPhotos 379988

HB622185
BWPhotos 379989

HB622186
BWPhotos 379990

HB622187
BWPhotos 379991

HB622188
BWPhotos 379992

HB622189
BWPhotos 379993

HB622190
BWPhotos 379994

HB622191
BWPhotos 379995

HB622192
BWPhotos 379996

HB622193
BWPhotos 379997

HB622194
BWPhotos 379998

HB622195
BWPhotos 379999

HB622196
BWPhotos 380000


Item Title
BWPhotos 380000

Location
9100 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD

Find maps of Bethesda, MD


Created/Published
Documentation compiled after 1933.

Notes
Survey number HABS MD-1105-A
Building/structure dates: 1926 initial construction
Building/structure dates: 1942 subsequent work
Building/structure dates: 1970 subsequent work
Significance: Constructed in 1926 to the design of architect Edward Clarence Dean, Tree Tops served until 1942 as the main residence for Luke I. and Helen W. Wilson and the focal point of a large estate that included several cottages and outbuildings. Tree Tops was the name originally given to the entire estate, but has come to be associated specifically with the main house over time. Building 15K is the name NIH has applied to the building. Tree Tops was one of several large estates that once lined Rockville Pike, and as such it is important for the role it played in the establishment of the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, as the Wilson donated numerous acres over a period of time from 1935 to 1993, including Tree Tops itself in 1942.

Subjects
Half-timbered Buildings
Country Houses
Domestic Life


Related Names
Dean, Edward Clarence
Wilson, Luke
Wilson, Helen
National Institutes Of Health
Heaton, Arthur B.
Smalling, Walter, Photographer
Williams, Paul K., Historian
Ewing, Heather P., Historian


Collection
Historic American Buildings Survey (Library of Congress)

Contents


Back to Bethesda, Maryland